Our Merit 25 Sailboat Is For Sale
Sad, sad day. Our Merit 25 sailboat is for sale. But it’s time for other things. The details:
Waterloo is a 1981 Merit 25 sailboat. Merit modeled the boat after the popular and fast J/24, and ended up with what’s probably a faster boat (slightly longer, larger headsail area). She’ll do 7 kts relatively easily and likes to sail circles around boats 10 feet longer. We’ve had her up to 7.8 kts in good wind.
The Merit 25 is a racing boat by design, but it’s a lot more comfortable than a J/24. There’s enough room below to host a card game while waiting for the fireworks at Navy Pier. Unlike the J/24, there are windows. We’ve had eight out for drinks and have sailed with six.
This is a great boat and we hate to part with it. It’s a great starter sailboat and a great racer for the more experienced. Learn the history of the Merit 25 here.
- North 3DL set of sails – main, 100% jib, 155% jib, spinnaker (2004)
- Older set of sails – main (Dacron, J/24 class), 100% jib, 155% jib, spinnaker (good condition)
- Original Merit 25 main sail
- Mercury Marine long-shaft 2-stroke outboard engine (2003)
- New external gas tank (2010)
- New outer shrouds (2008)
- New deep-cycle marine battery (2009)
- New porta-potti (2009)
- New jib halyard (2010)
- 4 Lewmar winches (good condition)
Repairs needed: mast light need replacing. If you’re going to be in Monroe Harbor next year, you should get a new buoy harness.
More details, including contact information, on craigslist.
Update: This has been our most popular post for weeks, but nobody has pulled the trigger on our boat … yet. Seriously — buy our Merit 25 sailboat!
Update: 7/1 — our sailboat is SOLD!