Uncle Paul’s “Raw” Californian Vegan Chili
We wanted a hearty meal, but we didn’t want to light the stove. Remembering a good white bean-based salad we once had (with parsley and red onion), we concocted this:
- 1 can mixed beans, rinsed (our can had black, kidney, and pinto)
- ½ diced onion (we used a white one)
- ½ can diced tomatoes, drained (you could use fresh ones, just get rid of the extra water)
- 1 handful chopped cilantro
- spash of vinegar (we used white, but I bet red wine vinegar would be good)
- salt and pepper to taste
Mix everything together. No Coleman stove needed. Just let it sit a bit so all the flavors get friendly. It’s good straight-up or on tortilla chips.
Note: It’s not really raw, the canned beans are technically cooked, just not by you. And it’s probably vegan. At the very least, it’s vegetarian. Don’t add any pearls or honey!